Tuesday, March 10, 2009

I hate history, unless its about WWII

I was reading an interesting blog by "Jamiegottagun" and she brought to mind "WHY" I really don't like TG's. On I'm not talking about the person and I for one salute them but its the non-stop history of their life and how they got from point A to point B and some side roads in between.

What I mean is this, it's perfectly fine at a therapist office on a one to one session or even during group sessions, but what I don't like is ...

Imagine you are at a small cocktail party and there are oh; about maybe 20-60 paired and single people milling around the house. You go up and stop by the food table or the bar and start to enjoy yourself. Now if you're like me, you are probably going to be at a party that is a mix between a lot of straight folks and a few TG's. Now you're enjoying yourself and soon you find that there is another TG at the party who seems hell-bent to tell you their life story.

Now this life story is something like someone with a speech impediment reading the lengthy novel 'War & Peace" at a very slow pace and with the people suddenly looking for a place to run and hide. IT"S a history of their "WHY" they came out.....

Listen, as a transgendered individual and one who is now all female..... I for one don't want to hear WHY you want to transition, nor do I want to know what happened 10-20 years ago; I want to know what is presently happening in your "life". I want to know what issues are you now facing, your fears & struggles, your children & family, are you being laid off from your job and what do you see in your future. I want to know what almost happens to folks at a party and that is.... "LIFE"!.

To give you and example on what I'm talking about, try this on for size. If you go to the next party and you are introduced to someone or being introduced to the other guests, do you say....

"Hello, my name is Cameron and I'm a TG, I've had a long and horrible life as a guy, I love wearing my mom's clothes at age 6. At age 10 I had a girl friend and I found out that I loved to wear her clothes, oh how I wished I could be a girl, blah, blah, blah......

Okay now do you get the picture, or how about this one.

"Hello my name is "Jane", how are you. Yes, I've known Bill and his wife for many years.... Bill and I work for the ABCDEFG company which just went bankrupt and we've both been laid off. I was Sr. VP of IT and Bill was Sr. VP of Marketing...


Now how's that for current events? Is it something that is current and pertinent to the times and are you now starting to hang around, because you and everybody else has the same problem? We're all talking about what is happening in our lives, not a one sided conversation about 'YOU" and your issues.

So, if you're into military history, cars, sports (yes even a TS likes sports), food, fine dining, family life, children and grandchildren and "MEN". All the things that make us and also defines who we are and we're at the same party. You may just see me hanging around you and the others instead of "heading for the hills".


No comments: